Types of Car Accidents in Howard County
Due to the latest advances in safety technology, today’s cars are safer than ever. Unfortunately, human error is responsible for many of the car accidents that continue to occur. From minor fender benders to massive multi-vehicle collisions, car accidents can range from being a minor inconvenience to a traumatic event that causes severe, sometimes fatal, injuries and property damage. Taking the rights steps immediately following your accident will ensure that you receive the financial compensation to which you are entitled. An experienced car accident lawyer will protect your rights and recommend the best legal course of action.
Types of Car Accidents
- Rear-End Collisions: These tend to be relatively minor in terms of damages. They are also the most common cause of car accidents. Victims of rear-end collisions often suffer from whiplash, which can be painful and potentially debilitating if not properly treated. The person who hit the car from behind is almost always at fault.
- Head-On Collisions: This type of accident often result in serious, even fatal, injuries. It may be difficult to determine which driver was at fault in a head-on collision and being represented by an experienced car accident lawyer can be more important than ever.
- Low Speed Accidents: Examples include parking lot wrecks, fender benders, and other collisions that occur when the vehicles are driving below 10 miles per hour.
- Sideswipe Accidents: These can occur when a driver is not careful when merging into traffic, or changing lanes.
- Single Vehicle Crashes: Common examples of this type of accident include losing control of the vehicle due to icy, wet, or snowy road conditions, or braking suddenly to avoid something in the road.
- T-Bone or Cross Traffic Accident: These often occur at an intersection when a driver runs a red light or fails to yield to traffic when turning.
Car Accident Injuries
Car accident victims can suffer a wide range of injuries, the severity of which often depends on the type of accident. The following are examples of common injuries that can occur because of a car accident:
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries, including whiplash
- Arm and leg injuries
- Chest injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
Steps to Take Immediately Following an Accident
Car accidents can leave you feeling shocked, overwhelmed, and unsure about what to do next. Keep the following tips in mind if you are involved in a car accident:
- Call 911. This will notify police, as well as emergency medical technicians if you, or any of the other motorists involved have suffered injuries. They will provide emergency medical care and transport victims with more severe injuries to the closest emergency room.
- File an accident report. This will be necessary for insurance purposes. The accident report should include details of the wreck, injuries and property damage, and any other information that will be helpful in the claims process. This will be a key piece of information in a personal injury case to prove that you were not at fault.
- Exchange insurance information. Be sure to obtain the other driver’s insurance information, driver’s license number, license plate number, and a description of the vehicle. Refrain from apologizing to the other driver as this may be interpreted as admitting fault.
- Obtain contact information from witnesses. If people in the vicinity witnessed the accident, they can provide valuable information that can be included in the police report.
- Get medical attention. It is always a good idea to get checked out by a medical professional after you have been in a car accident, particularly if you suffered any head or neck injuries.
To avoid being involved in a car accident, it is important that you observe and obey all rules of the road, including posted speed limits, right of way, and other road markings. You may obtain a copy of the police report from your local police station. An experienced car accident lawyer can review the detail of your case and recommend the best legal course of action.
Howard County Car Accident Lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton Advocate for Victims of All Types of Car Accidents
If you have been seriously injured in a car accident, whether it was a minor fender bender or a serious collision involving multiple vehicles, you are urged to contact the Howard County car accident lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton as soon as possible. We will guide you through the claims process and secure the maximum financial compensation you deserve for your injuries. To set up a free consultation, call us today at 800-547-4LAW (4529) or contact us online.
Our offices are in Baltimore, Columbia, Glen Burnie, and Towson, allowing us to represent car accident victims in Howard County, Maryland, which includes the cities of Columbia, Elkridge, Ellicott City, Fulton, Highland, Ilchester, Laurel, and North Laurel.