Types of Car Accidents in Anne Arundel County
If you are fortunate enough to have never been involved in a car accident, it is likely that you have witnessed one at some point if you have been driving for certain amount of time. Car accidents can range in severity from minor fender benders to serious head-on collisions that cause multiple fatalities. While some accidents are clearly the fault of the driver, particularly if he or she is speeding or under the influence of drugs or alcohol, others are caused by things like inclement weather or poor road conditions. Whatever the cause, car accidents continue to claim the lives of too many people each year in this country. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, there are approximately 1.3 fatal accidents for every 100 million miles traveled.
The type of car accident will often impact the severity of the injuries that occur. Certain type of car accidents occur more frequently on roads and highways across the country, including the following:
- Rear-end collisions: This type of accident occurs when one vehicle hits the car in front of it. Oftentimes, this occurs when one car comes to a sudden stop, forcing the car behind to slam on the brakes. Whiplash is a common injury in rear-end collisions, although more serious injuries can occur, particularly to the person in the vehicle who was hit from behind. In most cases, the driver that rear-ended the other car is at fault.
- Vehicle rollover: Rollover accidents usually occur when a vehicle is making a sharp turn at too high of a speed. In many cases, the vehicle ends up either on its side or upside down. Sport utility vehicles (SUVs) are particularly vulnerable to rollovers because of their higher center of gravity.
- Head-on collisions: These are some of the most serious, life-threatening accidents, usually involving massive injuries and fatalities from both vehicles.
- Multi-vehicle accidents: These accidents involve multiple vehicles, and often occur either at the same time, or in reaction to the initial car accident. For example, if two cars collide and a third car is unable to either stop or swerve out of the way in time, it becomes a multi-vehicle accident.
- Negligent driver accidents: When a driver fails to operate his or her motor vehicles safely, either due to distracted driving, drowsy driving, drunk driving, or any other unsafe driving behavior, this can result in serious accidents.
- Hit and run: This type of accident involves a motorist who drives away from the scene of an accident before police or emergency personnel arrive. In addition to showing extremely poor judgment, it can have serious consequences for the other victims involved if there were severe injuries. If the other victims suffered from a head, neck, or back injuries, they may not be able to move to call for help. In addition, if one of the other people involved is losing a great deal of blood, or has a serious head injury, leaving the scene of the accident could result in a fatality. If this happens, criminal charges may be filed against you.
Anne Arundel Car Accident Lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton Represent Victims of All Types of Car Accidents
If you or a loved one have been seriously injured in a car accident, the Anne Arundel car accident lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton are on your side and will seek the maximum financial compensation you deserve. We will protect your rights and ensure that the individual responsible for causing the accident is held liable for your injuries. We will not stop until justice has been served. To schedule a free, confidential consultation, call us today at 800-547-4LAW (4529) or contact us online.
Our offices are located in Baltimore, Columbia, Glen Burnie, and Towson, allowing us to represent car accident victims in Maryland, including those in Anne Arundel County, Carroll County, Harford County, Howard County, Montgomery County, Maryland’s Western Counties, Southern Maryland, and the Eastern Shore, as well as the communities of Catonsville, Essex, Halethorpe, Middle River, Rosedale, Gwynn Oak, Brooklandville, Dundalk, Pikesville, Nottingham, Windsor Mill, Lutherville, Timonium, Sparrows Point, Ridgewood, and Elkridge.