How to Avoid Work Zone AccidentsDecember 6, 2017
From repairing a pothole to widening a highway, the roads we drive on often require maintenance. While road work is being done, work zones can create potentially hazardous situations when motorists become confused by the lane changes, flashing lights, and merging traffic. Unfortunately, these conditions can lead to car accidents and injuries. However, there are steps drivers can take to avoid accidents when driving through work zones.
Tips to Prevent Work Zone Crashes
The U.S. Department of Transportation reports that work zone-related car accidents occur every five minutes in the U.S., with rear-end collisions topping the list of most common causes. Whether you approach a work zone unexpectedly, or you are aware that road work is going to be done in your area, there are things you can do to avoid being in an accident. Keep the following safety tips in mind when driving in a work zone:
- Keep a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you in case the car stops or slows down suddenly.
- Be sure to leave plenty of distance between your car and the workers, as well as any equipment or vehicles they are using.
- Do not tailgate when driving through a work zone.
- Reduce your speed. Speeding is the number one cause of work zone accidents.
- Pay attention to the work crew and follow the directions that road crew flaggers give. If they signal you to stop, obey their signals. Failing to do so could result in a serious accident as well as a traffic violation. The penalty for ignoring the road crew is the same as ignoring a road sign.
- Pay close attention to any lane changes, road signs, and other markings that may alert you to conditions ahead.
In some cases, a work zone accident may not be caused by the person driving in the work zone. For example, if the construction company or the municipality responsible for conducting the road work did not set up the proper safety precautions—including signs and road closures—a car accident case becomes much more complicated. An experienced car accident lawyer will discuss your legal options and recommend the best course of action.
Baltimore Car Wreck Lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton Protect the Rights of Work Zone Crash Victims
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident that occurred in a work zone, contact a Baltimore car wreck lawyer at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton. To schedule a free, confidential consultation, call us today at 800-547-4LAW (4529) or contact us online.
Our offices are located in Baltimore, Columbia, Glen Burnie, and Towson, allowing us to represent car accident victims in Maryland, including those in Anne Arundel County, Carroll County, Harford County, Howard County, Montgomery County, Maryland’s Western Counties, Southern Maryland, and the Eastern Shore, as well as the communities of Catonsville, Essex, Halethorpe, Middle River, Rosedale, Gwynn Oak, Brooklandville, Dundalk, Pikesville, Nottingham, Windsor Mill, Lutherville, Timonium, Sparrows Point, Ridgewood, and Elkridge.