Filing a Claim for a Whiplash InjuryFebruary 6, 2019
Whiplash is one of the most common car accident injuries. It generally occurs when a motorist has been rear-ended by another vehicle. A new study has found that a whiplash injury can cause anatomical changes to the brain that can lead to more serious conditions, including brain injuries, neck injuries, and chronic pain.
Since whiplash injuries are so common, there have been millions of personal injury claims filed over the years. If you have suffered a whiplash injury, an experienced Baltimore car accident lawyer will review the details of your case and recommend the best legal course of action.
Common Symptoms of Whiplash
Whiplash occurs when the force of impact causes a person’s head to move backward and then forward in a sudden motion. In most cases, people heal and recover within a few weeks; but some may experience lasting, chronic pain.
The following are examples of some common symptoms of whiplash:
- Pain and stiffness in the neck
- Limited range of motion in the neck
- Headaches that tend to start at the base of the skull
- Pain in the shoulders, arms, or upper back
- Blurred vision
- Ringing in the ears
It is very important to seek immediate medical attention if you have suffered a whiplash injury, particularly if the car accident was severe. A healthcare professional will be able to diagnose your injury and determine whether there are any other injuries to the brain, neck, or spine. Tissue damage or broken bones can cause symptoms to worsen.
Value of a Whiplash Injury Settlement
The financial compensation you are likely to receive will depend on how much the judge or jury is likely to award you, and whether you are able to prove that the other driver was at fault for the accident.
No two cases are the same, so the settlements will vary, as you can see from the following case examples:
- A Baltimore City jury awarded a woman $3,679 after she was hit by another vehicle while attempting to make a left turn into her school’s parking lot. The settlement covered the cost of her medical bills.
- An Anne Arundel jury awarded a total of $56,392 in a case involving a motorist who was driving with a friend in the car when they were hit by another driver who veered across the center line. Both victims suffered soft tissue damage, and the driver experienced headaches and back pain. The jury rendered a $30,307.82 verdict for the driver, and $26,083.88 for the passenger.
- A Charles County jury awarded a whiplash victim $108,728, which included the policy limits of $100,000, plus $27,181.99 in past medical bills and $40,000 in future medical bills.
Baltimore Car Accident Lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton Represent Victims of Whiplash Accidents
If you or a loved one suffered a whiplash injury after being involved in a car accident, you are urged to contact the Baltimore car accident lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton. We will secure the maximum financial compensation you deserve for your injuries and ensure that your legal rights are protected at all times. To schedule a free, confidential consultation, call us today at 800-547-4LAW (4529) or contact us online.
Our offices are located in Baltimore, Columbia, Glen Burnie, and Towson, allowing us to represent car accident victims in Maryland, including those in Anne Arundel County, Baltimore County, Carroll County, Harford County, Howard County, Montgomery County, Maryland’s Western Counties, Prince George’s County, Queen Anne’s County, Southern Maryland, and the Eastern Shore, as well as the communities of Catonsville, Essex, Halethorpe, Middle River, Rosedale, Gwynn Oak, Brooklandville, Dundalk, Pikesville, Nottingham, Windsor Mill, Lutherville, Timonium, Sparrows Point, Ridgewood, and Elkridge.